Utah Tech University

Struggling Student Funds

We know students sometimes encounter unforeseen events which can create financial emergencies. In response, thanks to generous donors, Utah Tech University (UT) has created the Struggling Student Fund to assist students in times of crisis. These funds do not need to be repaid and are intended to help students meet unforeseen financial emergencies, that might otherwise prevent them from continuing their education.

We understand that every student’s situation is unique and each request will be considered carefully and confidentially. Generally, funds will be within an average range of $50 to $2,500 per request and will be added to the student’s university account for disbursement. The number of students who can be served by the Struggling Student Fund depends on the availability of funds and the urgency of the situation.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Who is eligible for Struggling Student Funds?

· Be properly enrolled at Utah Tech University at the time of application for emergency funds

· Applicant must have an immediate financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, other unexpected event, or extenuating circumstances

· Preference will be given to those students who have completed at least one semester successfully while earning a 2.0 GPA or higher at UT

What expenses can funds be used for?

· Replacement of books or other essential academic equipment due to theft, fire, or other disaster

· Travel related costs related to death or illness in immediate family

· Costs related to medication or health care

· Sudden loss of income

· Tuition & fees (i.e. Paying one installment of their payment plan, paying off a balance to allow for registration, etc.)

What expenses are generally NOT covered with funds?

· Study abroad

· Insurance

· Parking tickets or other fines

· Entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel

· Non-essential household or personal expenses

Will receiving funds impact my financial aid?

If you are currently receiving financial aid, please be aware that receiving funding from the Struggling Student Fund may affect your financial aid package. Applications for emergency funds will be reviewed quickly and, if approved, every attempt will be made to disburse the funds in a timely manner.

How do I receive Struggling Student Funds?

All requests will be submitted to and handled by the Dean of Students. The highest level of sensitivity and privacy will be used in reviewing all requests, knowing that the reasons for requests are often linked to very personal matters of our students.

To receive funds please fill out an Ask The Dean form. A representative from the Dean of Students office will contact you to set up an appointment.


Debbie Millet

Executive Assistant for Student Affairs and Dean of Students

Email: debbie.millet@utahtech.edu

Phone: 435-652-7514